• Aloha, ohana!🌺 Tiki Lounge🗿 is a community for all tiki & MCM fans! Join today!

Anybody familiar with the old "Aloha Inn Restaurant" in Blue Bell, PA (Norristown area)?

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
Growing up in a part of the burbs' outside of Philly there really weren't any "Tiki" restaurants in the area and, in my youth, was too young to venture into Philly. The closest in the area was a restaurant named named Aloha Inn that was in a strip mall in Blue Bell, PA. At the time it stood out because it was a Chinese restaurant with a heavy amount of Hawaiian influence, including the meals and decor. These days it would be called a "fusion" menu restaurant.

It was one of my absolute favorite places to visit and it was always something I looked forward to when our Mom took us there. Over time I married and moved away from the area, to an area with even less diverse dining choices :(, and Aloha Inn closed their doors at some point. I don't get down to that area very often these days but when I do, and happen to drive by, I can't help but think of that restaurant and wish they were still open.

Does anybody know what happened to it? Or, heck, is anybody even familiar with it?! :D Doing a Google search I can't find any pictures of it or even mention of it other than an obituary for the owner, Lewis Chant.

Good to see you posting again!
200.gif

Growing up in a part of the burbs' outside of Philly there really weren't any "Tiki" restaurants in the area and, in my youth, was too young of to venture into Philly. The closest in the area was a restaurant named named Aloha Inn that was in a strip mall in Blue Bell, PA. At the time it stood out because it was a Chinese restaurant with a heavy amount of Hawaiian influence, including the meals and decor. These days it would be called a "fusion" restaurant.

It was one of my absolute favorite places to visit and it was always something I looked forward to when our Mom took us there. Over time I married and moved away from the area, to an area with even less diverse dining choices :(, and Aloha Inn closed their doors at some point. I don't get down to that area very often these days but when I do, and happen to drive by, I can't help but think of that restaurant and wish they were still open.

Does anybody know what happened to it? Or, heck, is anybody even familiar with it?! :D Doing a Google search I can't find any pictures of it or even mention of it other than an obituary for the owner, Lewis Chant.
Just seeing your post when I,too, was looking on Google for what happened to the Aloha Inn.
Mr. Chant helped us plan a "Samoan Soiree" with a pig roast when a doctor we worked with was leaving to serve in American Samoa. It was a great party and the perfect decor and food!
Fun memories!

Just seeing your post when I,too, was looking on Google for what happened to the Aloha Inn.
Mr. Chant helped us plan a "Samoan Soiree" with a pig roast when a doctor we worked with was leaving to serve in American Samoa. It was a great party and the perfect decor and food!
Fun memories!
Greetings! If you remember the pig roast 🐖 then check out this article I found from 1993, definitely brings back some memories. I don't know what newspaper or publication "The Mustang" was but so far it's the only thing I've been able to find online about Aloha Inn.

Attachments

• Aloha_Inn_Norristown_PA.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 230
Growing up in a part of the burbs' outside of Philly there really weren't any "Tiki" restaurants in the area and, in my youth, was too young to venture into Philly. The closest in the area was a restaurant named named Aloha Inn that was in a strip mall in Blue Bell, PA. At the time it stood out because it was a Chinese restaurant with a heavy amount of Hawaiian influence, including the meals and decor. These days it would be called a "fusion" menu restaurant.

I grew up in Norristown many, many moons ago. Aloha in was one of our favorite restaurants to go to on our going out to dinner nights. We moved from the area in 1989 (to Florida), and I've only been back once since then, 4 1/2 years ago. I have many fond memories of that place, especially the 2 waiters. I am so very sorry to hear it has since closed. Unfortunately, the world is getting larger and smaller at the same time, and wonderful places like the Aloha Inn are getting left in the dust.

I grew up in Norristown many, many moons ago. Aloha in was one of our favorite restaurants to go to on our going out to dinner nights. We moved from the area in 1989 (to Florida), and I've only been back once since then, 4 1/2 years ago. I have many fond memories of that place, especially the 2 waiters. I am so very sorry to hear it has since closed. Unfortunately, the world is getting larger and smaller at the same time, and wonderful places like the Aloha Inn are getting left in the dust.
Greetings! :smiley:

I am really happy to see that somebody else remembers it! I moved out of Norristown around the turn of the century (saying that makes me feel really, really old :LOL:) and these days only make a few trips a year down there. If you recall the area, some local spots like Lou's Steaks on Main St are still and Eve's Zeps are still going at their Johnson Highway location but most of the other 'Mom & Pop' shops I remember from growing up there, like Montgomery Lunch (with their 'Texas' Hot Dogs) are gone.

In the Tiki-ish vibe there aren't many places left in the area. A few spots come & go in Philly but there's nothing left out in the burbs. :(

Back