• Aloha, ohana!🌺 Tiki Loungeđź—ż is a community for all tiki & MCM fans! Join today!

Music How are you listening to your Tiki & MCM music? Vinyl? Streaming? MP3?

Kahuna

I know a lot of Tiki and MCM fans are on the lookout for vinyl albums when out shopping but what are most folks actually using to listen to their music? With so many albums, including older stuff, available for streaming I'm curious what media people are really using.

Buying vinyl but listening to streaming? Ripping vinyl to MP3? Going truly 'old school' and using a reel-to-reel? Inquiring minds want to know!

For our house it's a mix. I'll pick up vinyl but mostly as a collector. There are record players in the house but not used in a few years. Nearly all of my listening these days is streaming, YouTube Music, while Mrs. Kevin uses CDs in her car and streaming from her phone elsewhere. Poking around the house though it'll be easy to come up with vinyl of all sizes, cassettes (mostly from the 80's), CDs, and ancient MP3 players including a few Zune units.

Now with that said, I still think vinyl gives a richer sound versus media. Streaming gives huge flexibility options, I just don't think it's the same experience as vinyl no matter the bitrate.

I know a lot of Tiki and MCM fans are on the lookout for vinyl albums when out shopping but what are most folks actually using to listen to their music? With so many albums, including older stuff, available for streaming I'm curious what media people are really using.

Buying vinyl but listening to streaming? Ripping vinyl to MP3? Going truly 'old school' and using a reel-to-reel? Inquiring minds want to know!
We listen to vinyl, cds, and reel-to-reel.

I’d love to get some 7” 45s for one of my jukeboxes but I don’t know songs or artists to look for…any recommendations for someone just starting out?

We listen to vinyl, cds, and reel-to-reel.
Just curious, are you finding retail offerings on reel-to-reel? Years ago, back in the 80's, I had a friend who would record his vinyl albums to reel-to-reel and use them for listening but they always seem rare to see when Mrs. Kevin and I are out & about even at music shops.

I’d love to get some 7” 45s for one of my jukeboxes but I don’t know songs or artists to look for…any recommendations for someone just starting out?
That's a good question! There's a lot of 33 vinyl for artists like Martin Denny but I don't recall seeing 45's for the genre. Hopefully some others have better knowledge than I.

That's a good question! There's a lot of 33 vinyl for artists like Martin Denny but I don't recall seeing 45's for the genre. Hopefully some others have better knowledge than I.
Apparently there are Martin Denny 45s so I’ll try and grab a few. Any song recommendations to get me started?

Back