• Aloha, ohana!🌺 Tiki Lounge🗿 is a community for all tiki & MCM fans! Join today!

TV Tales of the Gold Monkey

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
Title: Tales of the Gold Monkey

Genre: Action & Adventure

First aired: 1982-09-22

Creator: Donald P. Bellisario

Cast: Stephen Collins, Caitlin O'Heaney, Jeff MacKay, Roddy McDowall, Marta DuBois, John Fujioka, John Calvin

Overview: In a backwater corner of the South Pacific in 1938, a young American adventurer and his ragtag group of friends become involved in death-defying hi-jinx, transporting people-on-the-run in a well-worn Grumman Goose seaplane.
Tales of the Gold Monkey

I was about 12 when this first aired and loved watching it as a kid. Yeah, in hindsight it was an attempt to latch on to the popularity of Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark that came out the year before but I think it stands on its own as an 'action & adventure' franchise. It was popular when it first came out and the spirit of the show was carried over into the original Disney's Tale Spin animated series.

Those are Donald Bellisario production values, for sure. Some crossover cast from Black Sheep Squadron and Magnum.

Why did I never hear of this? I’ll have to track it down on streaming or dvd

Those are Donald Bellisario production values, for sure. Some crossover cast from Black Sheep Squadron and Magnum.

Why did I never hear of this? I’ll have to track it down on streaming or dvd

They're available on DVD, but UNremastered, and apparently the discs can be kind of hinky when played on bluray players.

I haven't found it streaming anywhere.

I really liked this show as a kid, because it incorporated the Indiana Jones / Adventurer story with the steamy tropics. As a kid, my room was always decorated with (what we now would recognize as) tiki or Polynesian type decor, because of my love for the Kahiki in Columbus. But Tales of The Gold Monkey was a pretty cool show. I purchased the DVD set a few months ago when I was stuck in my camper being quarantined for a week, and unlike many other shows of my youth, this one holds out pretty well. There are some things we all have on old VHS tapes in our parents garage somewhere, that, if we were to watch now, we would probably be embarrassed that we had taped it. This was not one of those things.

Is it on Roku with some of the other Bellasario productions like Magnum and Airwolf? I’d also like to find Black Sheep Squadron
If it's out there, I haven't found it it. I don't have Roku to check but, as of the moment, I can say it's not on the services listed below in the US. I can't help but wonder if it is related to issues with Stephen Collins.
  • Netflix
  • Peacock
  • Tubi
  • FreeVee
  • Pluto
  • Amazon Prime (oddly, it doesn't even offer it for sale/rent like most titles that aren't available for Prime streaming)
  • Paramount+
  • Hulu
Amazon still has the DVDs available for purchase though, along with eBay.